You receive something that says:
The first thing you think is, ‘hey my SAM is expiring or something needs updated, I better make sure we are still compliant for the sake of our Federal Contracts.’ The first thing you should do, before clicking, is stop and see who is actually sending you this notice.
Though, this has been discussed and reported before, these companies continue to cause confusion with their deceptive calls, emails, texts, and mail. Especially now with the Federal Government combining and changing login processes, what seems like weekly.
The other trick that these scam companies use is an email like below:
This email is stating that your Dynamic Small Business Search Profile (DSBS) is not complete, this is a supplementary registration that is housed within the SAM system. Though it is not required we do recommend completing it. However, the email noted above makes someone believe something is not compliant.
So, what do you do when you receive one of these notices and you are not sure if what you receive is legit? Here are a few tips that can help determine the legitimacy:
• Your SAM expires in one year. Set yourself a reminder about a month prior to expiration. That will allow for ample time to review your registration for changes and then submit. Also, SAM will send an email 60 and 30 days prior to expiration
• SAM will not contact your SBA status or capability statement.
• You can always go into beta.SAM and check your registration expiration date. Go into beta.sam and enter your DUNS # under drop down “entity” and search. You will see your expiration date on the right.
• SAM is free. There is not a cost to register. If you run into issues or questions just give us a call.
• Any email correspondence from the Federal Government will have a “.gov” email address.
There is enough red tape and jargon when dealing with government contracting, our industry should be here to make things easier for companies, not add an extra layer of uncertainty. If you ever need an extra pair of eyes on something give our team a call for a free consult. Happy Contracting!